Having a Home Built While Away

Carl, I just purchased your book today and I have several questions. Please keep in mind, I am in the military and travel throughout the nation every few years.

I have some land in WA.
Being that I am stationed in HI, I am thinking of hiring a home builder to build on my property.

I am a little scared as I don’t know if they will do a good job? Do you know any reputable builders in WA, Tacoma area?? And, what would you do if you had this piece of property??

Seeking Guidance, an Army Soldier.
Thank You for your time Sir,
James
Hi James,

Unless you can:

1. Visit the job site periodically to inspect for completion and compliance with your design and personal preferences (allowance items, colors, etc.), and to personally hand over a draw check for work completed and/or materials installed, I would forget about it, unless,

2. You have a dear friend or relative you would trust to do the above in your absence.

If you decide to go ahead with this idea, I think you might want to consider finding a builder who could reproduce a house that he/she has already built somewhere on a similar lot (slope, soil conditions, etc.). That way, you would know the cost, the quality (hopefully) and the final product (also, hopefully).

Any builder you choose should, in my opinion, be a member of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). I recommend you contact the nearest local association of NAHB (National Association of Home Builders) for member names. Here is a link from NAHB to find an association near you: FIND YOUR LOCAL BUILDERS' ASSOCIATION

Have the local NAHB recommend several builders and check out each builder's references!

Also, here’s a link to my blog post, “How to Find a Builder

At any rate, I’d be more than “a little scared”. But, that’s OK as “fear” makes us more cautious.

Good luck James, and thank you for your service to our country,
Carl Heldmann, byoh.com