Building Better With Energy Efficient Blocks

Do you have any experience with AAC Block?

I am interested to use this material as my building structure, replacing stick framing (Florida and Montana) 

Thanks. I love your book and website!
M. J.


Hi M.J.,

First, let me tell my readers what ACC block is… It’s Amazing!

Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) is a precast structural product made with all-natural raw materials combining sand, cement, lime and water.

These products are made in various sizes of panel or block and used in the construction of wall, floor and roof systems.

The light weight of AAC makes shipping and handling more economical.

AAC block is installed with a thin-set mortar that limits leveling adjustments by masons. Block or panels are cored and filled with grout and reinforcement bar at stated intervals. Image below courtesy of E-Crete


Well M.J., the truth be known, I have never used AAC block as change in building techniques and methods is slow to come to the construction industry.

But after researching this product, I’m sorry I didn’t discover it sooner and “push” it as it seems to be the perfect home building material.

Research proves AAC to be economical, energy efficient, fire resistant, termite resistant, and probably “greener” than any building product available!

The material is easy to finish, too. Exterior walls can be painted, plastered, or finished with cladding like vinyl siding or fiber-cement siding. Interior surfaces can be plastered, sheet rocked, tiled, painted, or simply left exposed.

Hope this helps and thanks for writing,
Carl