Small Green Home

Hi David, 

I want to build a very small, green home, but want it to be viable to receive a building loan mortgage.

I find banks are pretty conservative and balk at tiny homes, or anything very different.

Can you suggest a plan site?

Carol


Carol,

You're right that lenders are hesitant to lend on projects which are unusual in size or style and which may be difficult to resell if the lender has to foreclose.

I'm not sure what type of design you're looking for, but you might want to look at my home plan site, www.originalhome.com. I've done some research on typical plan layouts for small houses and you'll find a range of small layouts starting at 1,700 square feet.

Good luck with your project,
David Moore, AIA

Dear Readers,
Do you have a question for David?
Click here to Ask the Architect.
And, you might want to read my Build an Energy Efficient Home.
Carl Heldmann