How Long Does it Take to Build a House?

Hi, Carl I have some questions for you:

How long would it take to build a house like these two houses:

House Plan #48-455 from Houseplans.com

And
 

House Plan # 56-583 from Houseplans.com

Also, I was looking at a house in my area. I live in the city and I wanted to know would it make sense to buy this house that’s in terrible condition and get it torn down and get a house built from scratch or just buy land.


The reason I'm asking this is because I do want to live in the city.
By the way the property where the house is cost $299,000 and is 5,496 sq. ft, and 0.20 acres.
Would it make sense to invest in that?

Thanks in advance for your time. Charmayne


Hi Charmayne,

How long would it take to build either of these houses? That is a question that I can’t answer. It is a question like, “How far is up?”

The average time to build a house is 6 months. Some can do it in less time, some take longer.

As to your question on the tear down, you need to consult with a local, knowledgeable Realtor as to the value of both the building site without the house and what the future value would be after constructing a new house.

If you have more specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Carl Heldmann, byoh.com