Who Calculates Amount of Building Materials

"Hey Carl, what calculation do you use when figuring what amount of lumber and drywall needed for your house? I'm trying to get a good estimate first so when I get bids from contractors I will know who is giving a fair estimate.
Ryan"

Hey Ryan,
I use my building material suppliers for calculations. They are the experts. If they send too much, they don’t charge for returns…it’s their fault
If they send too little, they don’t charge for shipping a small “fill in orders”…it’s their fault.

By the way, you buy those building materials, not your contractors or subcontractors.
Read my blog entry “You buy the Building Materials” or web page “Building Material Suppliers” for a complete list of the building materials I recommend you be responsible for buying.
Good luck,
Carl Heldmann, byoh.com