Cost of Group Home : Ask the Architect

“Hello, my name is Tracie and I'm working on a grant to fund a
non-profit therapeutic group home for teenage girls in the foster care
system.

I need an estimate on the price to build the facility. I need a
building that would have at least 7 bedrooms (big enough for 2 girls), at
least 3 full bathroom, 2-3 offices, 2 large (no smaller than 10'x7') therapy
rooms, a medical treatment room complete with a sink, kitchen, living and
dining areas big enough for 12 teenagers, and some sort of laundry/storage
area.

With this large layout I was assuming 3 floors would accommodate it
best, but I could be wrong.

I would really appreciate a general estimate so I
know how much to request.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to a reply.
Tracie K.”


Tracie, There's no good way to estimate the cost of your facility without doing some building code research and sitting down with an architect.

Your particular building use may trigger special requirements for fire resistance, exits, and other aspects of your building. A trained local architect can do the initial code research and sketch out some preliminary plans. He can also help you talk to local builders who can give you rough ideas of the final building cost based on the preliminary plans.


Good luck with your project,
David Moore, AIA
Original Home Plans

"Dear Readers, Do you have a question for David?Click here to "Ask the Architect".
Carl Heldmann, byoh.com