Cost to Build a House in Baton Rouge LA

Carl, my wife and I just closed on a lot in February and are having plans
drawn as I type.

I have made the decision not to hire a builder and hire and
manage all the subs myself.

Our plans are to build approx 2500 sq ft downstairs and 500 sq ft "bonus room" above the garage in the rear of the home...no plumbing or special features upstairs, just heated living space.

What price per square foot can I expect to build this home in Baton Rouge, LA
(land excluded) with reasonable features?
Thanks, Ryan


Hi Ryan,

Since you didn’t send a home plan, I found a 2,564 sq. ft. one level home with a potential bonus room above the garage from www.houseplansandmore.com(HDA).

House Plan #592-013D-0037




Using the Cost to Build Calculator from Building-Cost.net I came up with an approximate 2016 cost to build in Baton Rouge, LA of $308,362 including a General Contractor’s “mark up of $34,884.

Note: I used a 6 corner “footprint and #6 for the Quality Class” all the way through. This selection would NOT allow for the brick veneer that is shown on the home plan.

Using the very handy “Estimated Cost To Build This Home” that is on the houseplansandmore.com (HDA) web site, the total cost including the General Contractor’s markup, is $307,680

You should keep in mind that the cost to build for this example, or any house plan, can vary considerably depending quality of materials selected, and on actual bids for labor and material.

Until you actually start getting bids and entering them into your own spreadsheet (see my spreadsheet page for FREE spreadsheets), it will remain approximate.

Hope this helps, Carl Heldmann