How to Get a Contractors License

Summary: Building your own house and a general contractor licensing school can help you get your builders license.

Carl,
How do I get a builders license?
Richard


Hi Richard,

Start by reading my “Getting a Contractors State License

Then read the rest of "How to Get a Contractors License" including taking a contractors license class.

You can also click on a state below to see State License Requirements.

Most states require you to have some home building experience...sort of like a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" type of scenario.

But, since you don't need a license to build your own home, doing so is the perfect way to gain the experience that your state may require.

That's what I did. I built our own house, then I took a contractors license class and then got my General Contractor's license. The rest is history.
Good luck,
Carl Heldmann