Cost Estimating - Construction Bids Too Low

Carl,

I asked several knowledgeable folks how much it costs to build a home here in Central Florida, and the responses were consistently at $65-$70 per square foot, using VERY GOOD quality fixtures, etc, EX the land.

I ran a 2,200 sq ft home through the cost estimator, using all #3 quality materials, and it
comes up over $150 per sq foot.

I wonder what I am doing wrong?
Jonathan


Hi Jonathan,

You aren't doing anything wrong.

Using the "Cost to Build a House by State" calculator I came up with $70 per square foot for #6 Quality and, just as you did, $150 per square foot for #3 Quality,.

What one "knowledgeable" person considers "GOOD" quality my be considered very average or below average or worse to another person.

Read my pages:

New Home Construction Costs

Construction Bids

Quality Classification

Until you actually start getting contractor bids with explicit "Home Building Specifications", you will not be able to compare "apples to apples"

Good luck,

Carl Heldmann