Home Insurance Replacement Value | Cost to Rebuild a House Calculator

Hi Carl,

I've searched--but could not find my question on your site and I have read several of the chapters that give me partial answers.

Our house is in the small city of Imperial Beach, Calif in South Bay, San Diego. We are about 3 miles from the Mexican border. Our house is a stand alone, slab, 3BR, 2 Bath, insulated home, about 1,600 Sq. Ft., no Chimney, with totally tiled floors except a BR. It was built about 1967. The house is doing fine.

My question is about the cost of insurance. One of the issues is my need to know how much our house would cost to rebuild in case of a total fire.

I can assume that no insurance company would pay out more than they deem the structure to be worth so there is no point in overpaying for insurance.

Working with the insurance agent in Imperial Beach she left to me alone to figure the rebuild cost per sq foot of the house.

Carl, I do not expect you to come up with a dollar and cents figure, but rather impart advice on how to go about getting a sq foot cost to rebuild.

Many thanks for your time [and for creating your site too]
Michel


Hi Michel,

You can use the construction cost estimating software (cost to build calculator) that is used for estimating the cost to build a new house.

Base your answers to the questions found on the cost to build calculator on your actual (current) house.

There will be one cost that won't be available on the calculator, and that is the cost of demolition and trash hauling.


Call a local excavator and get a ball park figure.

I hope you never have to use the information.

Carl Heldmann