Building a Mountain Home

My wife and I are looking to build a mountain home, and the quote I am
getting seems high.

The lot itself is $100,000. The builders came in at $205,000 for a total of $305,000.

The house is about 1250 sq ft and is a typical mountain home with windows on 1 wall, master bedroom on main, and loft/bedroom and bath on 2nd floor. Most of the main floor is open to the ceiling.

There is a basement, but it will be only roughed in. The home is in Asheville, NC area. When talking to the builders, I had asked if building in the mountains is more expensive. They said no, but I feel the $205,000 is high for a smaller 2 bedroom home.

Am I way off base here? (I had told them I wanted to be under $300,000, so my guess is they came right at that number, not based on the cost of building). Curtis

Hi Curtis,

It’s impossible for me to say if you are getting good quotes or not as I don’t have a clue as to what quality of home you are building.

For example, I ran the cost to build calculator from Craftsman found on my Getting Started page and using the “Quality Class” 3 all the way through, I came up with $220,285.

Click on image to enlarge


Downgrading to “Quality Class 5, I came up with $152,204.

Mountain house have expensive features such as, a lot of large thermopane glass areas, difficult site access (I’ve been to Asheville), large decks, etc….you get the idea.

Also, what’s typical to one person may not be to another.

The devil’s in the details.

Ironically, the biggest contributor to a higher cost per sq. ft. is the smaller size of the house.

As I have written many times, as a house gets larger the cost per square foot gets smaller.

It wouldn’t hurt to keep shopping. You might try, as I have in the past, to look in neighboring small towns where work is not too plentiful.

Good luck,
Carl Heldmann, byoh.com