Construction Site Supervisor or Shell Builder

"Hi Carl,

Your website is an excellent resource. I'm considering being the general contractor to build a vacation home near Washington, DC. On this page of your website,, someone mentions hiring a shell builder in the Washington, DC area.

Do you have any way of contacting the person who submitted this question and finding out who the shell builder is?

How would I get about finding a site supervisor to manage the building of my home?
Thanks, Mike"

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I no longer have that person’s email address, but if I did, I don’t give out anyone’s email addresses.

But, you should have little trouble finding either a Construction Site Supervisor or a Shell Builder.

Contact your local NAHB (National Association of Home Builders) and have them give you a few names of their members.

(You can also read my blog post from March 3rd, 2009, "How to Find a Builder"

Contact these builders, discuss either option with them, get a price for their managerial supervision or building you a shell that you can finish (either subcontracting or doing your own labor), or a combination of the two.

You should save some money either route. You can run your proposed house plan through the “Cost to Build” calculator on my “Getting Started” page (# 5) to see how their pricing compares to a total “turn key” build job.

You have your work cut out for you, but hey, there are no free lunches, right?
Good luck,
Carl Heldmann,
P.S. Utilizing either a “Shell Builder” or a “Site Supervisor” should weigh favorably when looking for a construction loan.