When Do You Need a Structural Engineer for Foundation?

I plan on building a 3500SF ,story and a half home on blocks. I will pour concrete runners to set the blocks on.

I am curious as to how thick the concrete needs to be.

The soil is heavy clay and is located in southeast Texas if that helps.

Thanks, Clay

Dear Clay,

Even up here in snowy Connecticut, where I'm located, we've heard about your famous Texas "gumbo clay" which can eat an entire house.

I wouldn't go near the stuff without consulting a local structural engineer, but I would suggest that, instead of concrete block, I'd stick to reinforced, poured concrete which is much, much stronger.

Good luck with your project,
David Moore, AIA

Dear Readers,
Do you have a question for David?
Click here to Ask the Architect.
And, you might want to read my pages on How to Read New Home Plans.
Carl Heldmann